30/11/2012

Channel 5 News

This week we had guest editor Geoff Hill from Channel 5 news critique WINOL and we in return have decided to critique Tuesday evenings Channel 5 news bulletin.

Parts of the bulletin I liked
- To begin with I really wasn't sure about the way Emma Crosby, the presenter of 5 news, was standing up. After a while however I did get used to it and I think it made the bulletin slightly more interesting than when most presenters are sat down reading the news
- There was a good balance of stories throughout the bulletin from floods, viruses, sports personality and celebrity stories. I believe this gave quite a good variety for audiences.
- I also liked the vox pops which were used in the sports story, the reason for this is because for a story like this, peoples opinions are very important.
- The use of graphics in the flood and virus stories were very effective, using graphics for statistics allows the audience to understand these numbers in a much easier way than if the presenter was reading them.
- One of my favourite parts of the bulletin was the 'coming up next' at the end of the bulletin, this really entices viewers to watch the next bulletin and I definitely think this is something we should use on WINOL.

Parts of the bulletin I didn't like
- Emma Crosby, the presenter of 5 news was good, however I believe in certain stories she could of been a bit more serious. When talking about the death of the women in St Asaph, it seemed she was slightly too smiley for such a story.
- Channel 5, much like other main news broadcasting channels have on demand, however you can not watch the Channel 5 news bulletin online and I think that they could really benefit from having this.
- The wink to the camera by Emma Crosby at the end of the bulletin was slightly cheesy, and in my opinion kind of dampened the professional style and quality of the news bulletin as a whole.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages